Urban theory is currently undergoing a push to decentre the production of theory from places of privilege in the Global North. But the debate around ‘theorising from the South’, refreshing as it is, creates new silences and exclusions. For what about all the places between North and South?
This panel debate interrogates the prospects and problems of thinking from/with/through the East as a third category – between North and South and resolutely part of the global.
• Nadir Kinossian (Leipzig)
• Steffi Marung (Leipzig)
• Martin Müller (Lausanne)
• Lela Rekhviashvili (Leipzig)
• Elena Trubina (Ekaterinburg)
Join us for debating the following questions:
• The East and the world: what is left between North and South?
• How global is ‘global urbanism’?
• Do we need different theories for different places?
• Should we do global urban theory with the East? And if so, how?
• What are possible encounters and imbrications between the East and elsewhere?
Please register via e-mail under